Sunday, February 17, 2013

"It's news to me."

An interesting thing just happened in my apartment (for anyone that knows me, I'm aware that's not saying a lot, but bear with me). We were discussing the endangered species list, and we were all pleasantly surprised to find out that the eagle has finally been taken off the list, so we got very excited decided we should throw a party celebrating this exciting news.
Then, we realized it was taken off the list in June 2007.
This resulted in the discussion of a party celebrating news that isn't new, to which my roommate Courtney replied, "It's news to me."
I think that the phrase, "it's news to me," is an interesting idea. After all, isn't it called "news" because, well, it's new? After this whole bald eagle debacle, my roommate Liz tweeted, "Speaking of news, in recent news, I just realized why the news is called news."
If something's new to you, can you call it news? Or are you stuck with simply calling it "new information"? The more that I think about it, the more that I realize that lots of things I consider news aren't really news, they're just new to me
To be honest, I'm not sure where I'm going with this. It's just something to think about during those times of the day when you find yourself exploring the deep crevasses of your mind. Like when you're waiting for food. Those are dark times, soldier. Stay strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment