"A quiet deal done on the Hub’s last frontier" (paper)
"A quiet deal done on a prime Boston waterfront site" (online)
I think the difference between these two is pretty important. The one printed in the paper refer's to the site as "the Hub," while the online version refers to it as "a prime Boston waterfront site." I think this makes a big difference because those who aren't from the Boston area might have no idea what the Hub is...I mean, I know I didn't. I was pretty thankful for the online version clearing that up. While the printed headline is more concise, the online headline is a bit more clear.
"OUI arrests are now rare in Boston"
"Drunken-driving arrests becoming rare in Boston"
There's an important difference between these two, and I think it;s that they actually convey two different facts. One states that OUI arrest are rare, while one says that they are becoming rare. We can assume that they mean the same thing, but if they are taken literally, they actually are saying different things. I think that in the space allotted, the printed headline is fine, but the online headline conveys the actual story.
"One thing money can’t buy: a break from nature’s fury"
"What money can’t buy: a break from nature’s fury"
The difference between these two headlines is so negligible, it feels pointless to even talk about it. Honestly, I don't think one is better than the other, I think the difference is there just to save a little space in the print version of the paper.
"Walczak jumps into race for mayor"
"Bill Walczak jumps into race for Boston mayor"
I like the conciseness of the printed headline, and I like the effect it has. While the online version of this headline is a bit more helpful with understanding who's doing exactly what, I like the urgentness of the printed headline, and I think it matches the tone of the event.
"Now screening: Professor vs. filmmaker"
"BU caught in middle as filmmaker, professor feud"
Hands-down, the printed headline is more awesome. No question about it. It's got a pun, and who doesn't love that? I like the humorous quality of it, and I think it draws the reader in more. The online version, again, is more informational, but I think the printed headline does a better job of enticing readers into the story. It's just so funny.
No comments:
Post a Comment