Sunday, April 28, 2013

Editor's credo: REDUX

Back at the beginning of the semester, I wrote my own "editor's credo," which went like this:


Being an editor means being encouraging, constructive, and never close-minded. Editing is a cooperative relationship. It’s not just improving the writing—it’s improving the writers and helping them realize their full potential. Being an editor means being trustworthy and trusting. Writers should be able to look to you for advice, but you also have to believe in their own ideas. It's like being the captain of a ship; you can give direction, but you won’t get anywhere without the contribution of those looking to you for guidance.

I mean, it still pretty much sounds good to me, but now that I've learned a lot more over the semester, I'd probably add a little to it. Something like: 



As an editor, it is my responsibility to be encouraging, constructive, and never close-minded. Editing is a balance between the input of reporters, and my good judgement as an editor. I will not just improve the writing, but I will try to improve the writers and help them and their stories reach their full potential. As an editor, I have to be trusting and trustworthy; I have to believe in the ideas of the reporters, but I also have to be able to provide help and advice. It is my job to recognize what is fit to print, and what is going to tarnish my reputation and the reputation of journalism as a whole. As an editor it is my job to recognize a story's flaws, potential, holes, strong points, weak points, and everything in between. 

No comments:

Post a Comment