Okay, so I honestly thought this was going to be very
boring and painful, but in reality, it really wasn’t that bad. It was interesting
seeing how in-depth this research goes, and all the different aspects of the
news media that it covers. Plus, there were a ton of graphs, and who doesn’t
love a good graph every now and then?
After reading the State of the News Media report,
something that really struck me was how the cuts being made to news reporting
resources are ultimately leading to “a news industry that is more undermanned
and unprepared to uncover stories, dig deep into emerging ones or to question
information put into its hands.” 60% of people who have abandoned their news
sources have done so because the stories seem “less complete,” and the coverage
of the latest presidential campaign was labeled as mainly a “direct relaying of
assertions” without any interpretation on behalf of the journalists. All of
these findings show that editors are facing a major problem, and that is a decrease
in story quality…which seems like a pretty bad problem to have. I feel like no
one really wants a team of reporters giving you stories that just aren’t very
thorough. But, I guess the silver lining in this is that the reporters have the
basics down; they just need that extra push, and being able to give them that
is a pretty great opportunity for an editor. I think this is really going to
give editors reasons to stay sharp and be able to find the missing elements of
a story. I think this really amplifies the role of the editor because with
stories becoming less in-depth, they are not only going to have to find the
cosmic elements in these stories, but they are also going to have to work along
with the writers and be able to help them identify the spark in their own
stories.
I also found it interesting in the report where it said
that, “The gap between acting on a digital news tip or a conversation one makes
sense: It is easier and faster to click on a link that is literally at your
fingertips than it is to find a story in a newspaper.” The report said a lot
about the transition to digital media and I think this quote really sums up the
convenience of it, and why people are making that change from the old format to
a new one.
No comments:
Post a Comment